The Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (“CZ Imaging Institute,” “CZII,” “we,” “us”) was founded in support of CZ Science’s mission to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. To accomplish this goal, we need to develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease. At the CZ Imaging Institute, researchers will collaboratively develop revolutionary new imaging hardware and software tools to build breakthrough multimodal biological imaging systems.
2. Information We Collect About You
2.1. From You
We collect certain information from you when you provide it to us directly. Specifically:
- Subscribing to our Technology Publisher or Newsletter. When you sign up to receive our Technology Publisher or newsletter, you provide us with certain personal identifiers, such as your first and last names and your email address.
- User Support. If you email us with a support request or comment at a czimaginginstitute.org email address published on our Website, you may provide us with personal identifiers such as your contact information and a description of the issue so that we can respond.
- Surveys and Feedback. If you decide to respond to a survey or send us feedback, we may collect personal identifiers and information about your interests or preferences.
- Event or Training. If you decide to register or attend an event or training we may collect personal identifiers or audio or visual information from you.
2.2. From Your Browser or Device
Whenever you use any online service, certain information gets created and logged automatically; the same is true when you visit our Website. Here’s what we collect:
- Log data. When you visit our Website (whether on your computer or on a mobile device), we gather certain internet or other electronic network activity information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP addresses, the Internet Service Provider, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, login/logout times, and duration of time spent on our Website.
- Device data. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using to access the Website; this includes the type of device, browser type, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data that helps us understand when something goes wrong.
2.3. Other Services
2.4. Sensitive Personal Information
Unless we state otherwise in a policy for certain products, programs, or activities of CZ Imaging Institute, we do not collect sensitive personal information about you, and thus we do not use or disclose your sensitive personal information.
3. Use of Your Personal Information
CZ Imaging Institute does not sell your personal information nor do we share it for behavioral advertising purposes. CZ Imaging Institute does collect and use your data for the following business purposes:
To provide and maintain the Website
- We use the information we collect to provide or serve our Website, and maintain and improve the Website, including understanding the content that our visitors find valuable, troubleshooting errors, advancing information security, data analysis, and understanding website traffic patterns.
To provide information you’ve requested
- We will inform you – via the email address you provide us – of other initiatives, news, requests for applications, and job opportunities related to CZ Imaging Institute.
To communicate with you
- We may also use your information to directly communicate with you about your use of the Website or to respond to an email or submission from you.
Other Service Information
- We use information from Other Services to understand the particular materials that we posted or linked to that users of those Other Services found most valuable and to inform our marketing efforts.
4. Retention and Deletion
We will keep your information only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purpose we have collected it (as described above) or to meet legal obligations, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or fulfill your request to unsubscribe from further messages from us. When your information is no longer needed, we will destroy or de-identify it.
5. Disclosing Your Personal Information
Except in the instances listed below, we will not disclose your personal information to others unless you consent to it, nor will we ever sell your personal information to advertisers or other third parties. We disclose your information in the following ways:
Service Providers and Vendors
CZ Imaging Institute works with vendors, service providers, and other partners (including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, LLC) that help us provide the Website by providing services on our behalf. These services are, for example, sending emails, performing statistical analysis, database management services, database hosting, providing customer support software, survey providers, and security. In the course of providing these services, our service providers may have access to your information, including personal information.
Legal and Safety Reasons
We may disclose information if we believe in good faith that it’s necessary (a) in connection with any legal investigation; (b) to comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on us; (c) to protect or defend our rights or property or users of our Services or others; and/or (d) to investigate or assist in preventing any violation of the law.
CZ Imaging Institute Entities and Affiliates
Reorganization, Sale, or Merger
6. Choices and Rights Over Your Personal Information
You have the following rights with respect to the personal data we have about you:
- Delete data. You can ask us to erase or delete all or some of your personal data subject to our legal obligations and lawful exceptions.
- Change or correct personal data. You can also ask us to change, update, or fix your data in certain cases, particularly if it’s inaccurate.
- Object to, limit, or restrict use of personal data. You can ask us to stop using all or some of your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or to limit our use of it (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held).
- Right to access and/or take your personal data. You can ask us for a copy of your personal data in machine-readable form.
- The right to notice. You have a right to receive notice of our personal information collection, use, retention, and disclosure practices at or before collection of personal information.
- The right not to be discriminated against. CZ Imaging Institute will not discriminate against you in any manner for exercising any of the above rights with respect to your personal data.
Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions or would like to exercise any rights you have under applicable law to control your personal data. You can also have an authorized agent email us to make a request on your behalf.
If you would like to appeal a CZ Imaging Institute decision with respect to a request to exercise any of these rights, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and explain the basis for your appeal. If you wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority.
(b) Additional Controls
You have choices available to you through the device you use to access the Website. For example, your browser may let you control cookies and other types of local data storage. Where we receive information about you from Other Services (as described in Section 2.3 above), those Other Services – like social media sites – may offer their own controls around the data you choose to share with us.
7. Data Transfer
CZ Imaging Institute is based in the United States; when you engage with the Website, you are sending personal data into the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country. We process data both inside and outside of the United States.
8. Our Legal Bases
We will collect, use, and share your personal data only where we have a legal right to do so. This section explains our legal bases for processing personal data, including under GDPR.
We rely on consent to engage in certain data collection activities, like when you sign up for our newsletter.
8.2. Legitimate Interests
We rely on legitimate interests to process the data we collect when you browse our Website. We process this data based on our legitimate interest in understanding how our Website is being used, and your legitimate interest in accessing our Website.
Where we rely on consent, you have the right to revoke your consent; and where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object by emailing us at email@example.com
9. Additional Information for California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires certain businesses to give California residents a number of rights regarding their personal information. We are offering these rights to you, including the right to have your personal information deleted (subject to certain exceptions), the right to change or correct your personal information, the right to limit the use or disclosure of your sensitive personal information (if applicable), the right to access your personal information, the right to opt-out of the “selling” or “sharing” of personal information (if applicable), and the right not to be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
These rights, and how to exercise them, are described in more detail in Section 6 of this Policy Policy. In addition to these rights, we give you a right to request the following information about your personal information that we have collected in the past 12 months:
The Right to Know. This right allows you to request the following information about the personal information that we’ve collected about you in the past 12 months:
- Information about Data Collection
- The categories of personal information that have been collected.
- The categories of sources from which we have collected personal information.
- The business purpose for which we have collected personal information.
- Information about Data Disclosure
- The categories of personal information, if any, that have been sold, shared, or disclosed for a business purpose to third parties.
- The categories of third parties to whom personal information was sold, shared, or disclosed for a business purpose.
- Identification of the specific business purpose for disclosing the personal information.
Information about Data Collection
- Information we collect. We have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the past 12 months: (1) identifiers; (2) internet or other electronic network activity; (3) geolocation data; and (4) inferences drawn from internet or other electronic network activity.
Information about Data Disclosure
- Information we disclose. We have disclosed the following categories of personal information within the past 12 months: (1) identifiers; (2) internet or other electronic network activity; (3) geolocation data; and (4) inferences drawn from internet or other electronic network activity.
10. Additional Information for Residents of Virginia, Colorado, Connecticut, and Utah
Virginia, Colorado, Connecticut, and Utah also have adopted privacy laws that give consumers certain rights, including the right to confirm whether businesses are processing the consumer’s personal information, the right to access that data, the right to obtain a copy of that data, the right to correct inaccuracies in that data, and the right to delete that data. As discussed above in Section 6, CZ Imaging Institute provides these rights to all consumers, regardless of where they reside.
Additionally, these four states have adopted rights to opt-out of: (1) targeted advertising; (2) the sale of personal information; and (3) profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning the consumer. We do not sell your data, use it for targeted advertising or to profile you in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects.
11. Other Important Information
(a) Security of Your Information
Security of personal data is important to us. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your personal data, including reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect personal data from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and destruction. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that your data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or administrative safeguards. Please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you become aware of any security issues relating to our Services.
(b) Your Communications Preferences
The personal information you voluntarily provide for our mailing lists allows us to keep you posted on our latest announcements, requests for applications, job opportunities, and upcoming events. If you no longer want to be on our mailing lists, you can opt out any time by updating your preferences. You may update your preferences or request to unsubscribe from our mailing lists by using the “Manage Preferences” link at the bottom of any email sent to a CZ Imaging Institute mailing list. You may also send an email to email@example.com requesting to unsubscribe.
(c) Do Not Track Signals
The Services are not designed or intended for children under 16 and we do not have actual knowledge that we have sold or shared the personal information of users under 16 years of age. If we become aware that we have the information of such children collected through the Services, we will promptly delete it.
(f) Contact Information